In 2010, Mississippi state policymakers passed legislation to create multiple pathways to a standard diploma. Out of that legislation came the Pathways to Success Program, where Mississippi students will now how the choice of three pathways for a standard high school diploma. The goals of the program are:
- Assist students in selecting their appropriate graduation pathway
- Increase attendance rates, high school GPA, and scores on statewide tests in secondary schools
- Increase enrollment in dual-credit courses
- Increase rates of post-secondary enrollment and completion
- Decrease remediation at the posts-secondary level
- Produce higher skilled employees for the workforce
District Pathway Option---(21 Credits) Completion of this pathway may meet requirements for acceptance to a community college
Career Pathway Option---(21 Credits) Completion of this pathway will guarantee acceptance in a Mississippi community college. The Career Pathways Option is the only one that requires a career cluster selection.
One of the keys to improving student achievement is providing students with relevant context for studying and learning. Career Clusters do exactly this by linking school-based learning with the knowledge and skills required for success in secondary education and the workplace. The National Career Clusters Framework comprises Career Clusters and related Career Pathways to help students of all ages explore different career options and better prepare for college and the workplace.Each Career Cluster represents a distinct grouping of occupations and industries based on the knowledge and skills they require. The Career Clusters and related Career Pathways provide an important organizational tool for schools to develop more effective programs of study and curriculum.
TPSD's Career Cluster Options
7. Will a culmination project be required for graduation regardless of the student’s graduation pathway choice? YES. All students will need to complete a culmination project before graduating.
8. Will the diploma look different for the each of the different pathway choices? NO. Each THS graduate will receive the same high school diploma, regardless of their graduation pathway choice. However, most colleges and employers will request an official transcript which will reflect the amount of credits earned and will show the differences in the pathway options.
TPSD Pathways to Success Presentation